Thursday 9 June 2011

Driftwood Xylophone

Wee Folk Art recently posted this video on their Facebook page on how to make a driftwood xylophone.
It was a nobrainer that we HAD to try this out.
A few weekends ago L, Daddy and I went to the beach and tested out pieces of driftwood to see if they were resonant.  We collected them and lay them across two large logs.  Once we played them we sorted them out according to pitch putting the lowest at one end and the highest at the other.
Here is L rockin' out on our driftwood xylophone!  It sounded just like the one in the video!


I collected a few more pieces and we did this for music class this afternoon and made a huge xylophone with rolled up beach towels to go along with our study of African music.

7 comments:

Annicles said...

wow- that's so cool.
It is a strange thing but we goet no drift wood at my local beaches. Never:(

Foreword from the Reader said...

We get loads of drift wood around here. And my kids' primary school actually made the arch of Noa with that type of wood. It is so well done. ANd they made clay animals to go with it. It looked fantastic!! Nice work About a Girl!

Stephanie said...

Wow! That is AWESOME! I will have to see if I can find enoguh large piece of drifwood and try this! Thanks for sharing!

PuppyLovePrincess said...

this looks like so much fun! what an excellent idea!

softearthart said...

So cool, cheers Marie

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

what a cool idea- I love it- we're going to spend a month at the beach this summer- I'm adding this to my list of fun.

The girl who painted trees said...

I miss Vancouver beaches so much when I see your beach photos:( What a wonderful idea. Hilton Head lacks in driftwood, but when we go this summer, I'll try to remember this xylophone idea and find a few pieces to try it with.

Related Posts with Thumbnails